What is Hernia?
- A hernia is an abnormal opening containing intestine or fat through the muscles of the abdominal wall.
- The prevalence of groin hernias is estimated to be between 5 and 10 percent in the United States.
- The Outcome of each operation will depend on the patient’s health and Strength of his or her abdominal wall muscles.
- A primary etiology for a hernia is related to congenital tissue abnormalities, whereas a secondary hernia etiology is related to acquired tissue abnormalities (e.g., trauma)
Where a hernia are found?
- Groin hernias (inguinal or femoral hernia) were the third leading cause of ambulatory care visits for gastrointestinal complaints in 2004 and visit rates have not changed appreciably since 1975. The prevalence of groin hernias is estimated to be between 5 and 10 percent in the United States. Inguinal hernia is more common than femoral hernia and other abdominal wall hernias (e.g., umbilical, epigastric).
- Although femoral hernias account for less than 10 percent of groin hernias, they present clinically with complications (incarceration, strangulation) more often than inguinal hernias.
- Midline hernias occur in the midline, usually above the navel. Umbilical hernias occur through the navel.
- Incisional hernias are found at sites of previous operations.
Why Hernia occurs? Or Reason of Abdominal Wall Hernia.
The following are some activities associated with hernias:
- Exertion during Pulling or Lifting Unusually heavy load
- Unusual Straining during Urination and during bowel movement.
- Prolong Standing.
- Congenital defect also may lead to hernia.
Our physicians are highly experienced and skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of hernias, including minimally invasive (Laparoscopic and Robotic) treatments. These include:
- nguinal Hernias
- Femoral Hernias
- Epigastric and Umbilical Hernias
- Incisional Hernias
- Recurrent Hernias
- Hiatal Hernias
- Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernias
- Suprapubic Hernias
- Spigelian Hernias
- Complex Abdominal Wall Defects
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Laparoscopic Component Separation
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair.
- Chronic Pain Following Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Removal of Mesh and Mesh Plugs
- Sportsmans Hernias
- Robotic Hernia repair including
- Inguinal, Femoral, Umbilical, Incisional, Ventral, Epigastric hernia
- Robotic Component Separation
- Endoscopic Component Separation
How do you know you have a Hernia?
A great many people can feel a lump where an inguinal hernia creates in the groin. There might be a smoldering or sharp torment sensation in the zone due to irritation of the inguinal nerve or a full feeling in the groin with action. On the off chance that a hernia happens due to an occasion like lifting an overwhelming
Difficulties happen when a bit of intestine or omentum gets to be distinctly caught (detained) in the hernia sac. A piece of entrails may enter the hernia and get to be distinctly stuck. In the event that the entrails swell, it can bring about a surgical crisis as it loses its blood supply and gets to be strangulated. In this circumstance, there can be huge agony and nausea and vomiting, signaling the conceivable improvement of a entrails obstruction. Fever might be connected with strangulated, dead entrails.
A Richter’s hernia causes just a part of the entrails divider to wind up distinctly caught stuck in the hernia. It won’t really bring about a check since the way of the digestive tract still permits entrails to pass, yet that segment of the entrails divider that is caught can strangulate and die.
Femoral and obturator hernias introduce similarly as inguinal hernias, however on account of their anatomic area, the totality or bumps might be significantly more hard to appreciate.
Umbilical hernias are anything but difficult to acknowledge and in grown-ups frequently fly out with any expansion in stomach weight. The complications again incorporate imprisonment and strangulation.
A hiatal hernia does not cause many symptoms by itself, but rather when a sliding hernia happens, the unusual area of the gastroesophageal (GE) intersection over the stomach influences its capacity and stomach substance can reflux into the throat. Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) may bring about smoldering mid-section torment, epigastric torment and blazing in the upper guts sickness, heaving, and a sharp taste from stomach corrosive that washes into the back of the throat.
Sports hernias cause expanded torment in the groin or inguinal region brought on by physical movement, normally including bending or limit drive injury to the guts.
Dr. Ravikumar Brahmbhatt, MD is member of “AMERICAS HERNIA SOCIETY“